When the centre opened its doors in December 1995 to 108 children, it offered training either in carpentry, motor mechanics, tailoring and basic life skills. Over years of execution, it was evident that there was little transformation in the lives of children above 10 years. It became necessary to target children aged between 6-8 years who were still in their formative years; so as to create a niche for holistic rehabilitation including education and also reach out to the neediest of the children on the streets. Today, rehabilitation is a three year program that is followed by education scholarship for children in primary, secondary and university depending on the interest and ability of the child. At admission, about 70% of these children are without any form of schooling, have never owned a toothbrush, a pair of shoes or slept on a bed.
Rehabilitation covers the following areas:
- Training in social aspects such as personal grooming, communication, family relationships.
- Early child education which is a precedent of 8-4-4 syllabus.
- Education in regular school.
- Rehabilitation from drug abuse and street life.
- Spiritual nurture based on Christian doctrine with daily devotions.
- Psychological counselling and where necessary trauma counselling.
- Career counselling and life skills.
- Recreation with child appropriate programs and activities.
All the children at the Centre are placed in small groups called “families”. A family consists of 5 – 10 children of different ages, and is headed by a staff member. This helps children individuate more easily. It also gives each child a few children to identify more closely with. This is the forum that children use to seek to understand, question, complain or give suggestions on the operations of the Centre. We also have an open forum once in three months where children can ask questions without fear of discrimination or victimization and their questions are answered to their satisfaction. The children are free to consult with members of staff, the Board of Directors and the Christ is the Answer Ministries administration on any issues of concern. Each family meets for an activity at least once every week.